St Heliers School is a Signatory to the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016.

St Heliers School enrols the following categories of international students:

1. Long term students:  

  • We accept students in Years 1 to 8 (aged 5 to 13 years). 
  • Students in Years 1 to 6 (aged 5 to 10 years) must live with a parent.
  • Students in Years 7 and 8 (aged 11 to 13 years) can live with a parent or with a designated caregiver. 
  • Students enrolled for more than one term will need to apply for a Student Visa.

2. Short term students:  

  • Students enrolled for less than 12 weeks may study in New Zealand with a Visitor's Visa.
  • Our school accepts a limited number of short term students each year. 
  • The minimum period of enrolment for short term students at St Heliers School is four weeks.
  • Short term students are placed in mainstream classes and follow the classroom curriculum programme.
  • Short term students are enrolled for a cultural experience where they are able to  experience studying in an English speaking classroom in New Zealand.
  • Students are able to practise speaking English by communicating in simple English with their Kiwi classmates.
  • Short term students do not receive special ESOL lessons.
  • St Heliers School does not host groups of students.

horiz line

Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016

St Heliers School has NZQA certification that our school meets the quality standards of pastoral care as set out in the NZQA Code Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016 with Amendments 2019.

PDF download Summary of the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016

horiz line


Full details of immigration requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available from Immigration New Zealand and can be viewed on their website at

horiz line

Eligibility for Health Services

Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand.  If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full cost of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health servies are available through the Ministry of Health, and can be viewed on ther website at

horiz line

Accident Insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents, and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at

horiz line

Medical and Travel Insurance

All international students must have appropriate medical and travel insurance from when they leave their home country until they return to their home country. For more information about Medical and Travel Insurance Click here.

horiz line